We packed up the kids, and made our way to Idaho to spend the weekend with my family for his funeral. It was a wonderful service- Uncle Mike cried (so did I), Uncle Bill sang (which made me cry harder), and we all got to hear some hilarious stories about Grandpa and his jokester ways. It was a really cold day (we're talking right at freezing), but the weather couldn't have been better- which was good because we had to drive 45 minutes to the cemetary. It was also really neat because 24 of my grandparents' 27 grandchildren were able to be there. I honestly can't remember a time when there were so many of us together.
There were so many beautiful flowers at the viewing. This was on of my favorite arrangements sent by some of my mom's cousins.
The arrangement that sat on his casket was on top of his saddle.
Grandma and Grandpa's headstone.
It was so beautiful at the cemetary that day.
My mom with all of her siblings. Left to right: Mom, Bill, Mike, RaeAnn, Michele, Marne, and JoLynn
Most of the cousins! It is a big deal that so many of us were there.
I have so many great memories of Grandpa, and there are so many things that I will miss about him. I will miss hearing his stories- even the ones I had heard a million times. I will miss listening to him sing- especially the songs that he made up. I will miss his laugh- usually at his own jokes. I will miss his smell- Old Spice mixed with the farm. I will miss his hugs- including those in which he gave me whisker burns. I will miss watching "Crocodile Dundee" with him 2 or 3 times a day- with the volume turned up all the way, AND the closed captioning turned on, AND him quoting it from his chair. But, most of all, I will miss his smile- it was contagious, and could take you out of the worst of moods.
I'm glad that he is with Grandma again, and I can't wait until I can see them both someday.
David J. Hirschi (1925-2009)
David J. Hirschi, age 84, passed away Oct. 5, 2009 at his home in Salem, Idaho, of natural causes.
David was born on May 28, 1925 in Salem, Idaho, to David Hirschi, Jr., and Hedwig Aldehoff Hirschi. He was the youngest of four children and the only boy.
He married Virgene Berrett on June 26, 1946, in the Idaho Falls Temple. They lived the first 12 years of their marriage in Kilgore, Idaho, where he worked with his father on their ranch. In 1960 the moved to Salem, Idaho, returning to Kilgore during the summers. Next to his family and church, Dad loved Kilgore.
He was an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, serving in many positions. He and Virgene served a mission to the Dallas-Fort Worth mission. They also officiated in the Idaho Falls Temple for seven years until Virgene was released for health reasons.
He is survived by his children, Marne (Clark) Tucker of Roosevelt, Utah; JoLynn (Brian) Davis, Mike (Barbara) Hirschi, and Bill (Denese) Hirschi, all of Rexburg, Idaho; Rae Ann (Roger) Hall and Cindy (Jeff) Nelson of Idaho Falls; as well as 27 grandchildren and 50 great-grandchildren. His grandchildren include, Allan (Chandra) Tucker, Travis Tucker, Tonya (Jeff) Smith, Ethan Tucker, Jesse Tucker, Levi (Heather) Tucker, all of Roosevelt and Davis (Alicia) Tucker of Salt Lake City, Utah.
He was preceded in death by his parents, his wife, three sisters, a grandson and a great-grandson.
Funeral services were held Saturday, Oct. 10, in Salem. Interment was in the Kilgore Idaho Cemetery.
1 comment:
what a sweet tribute to him, Tashina!!! i'm so sorry it has been such a rough year for you. :(
Post a Comment