Merlyn S Meldrum 1932 ~ 2009 Merlyn S Meldrum, age 76, eternal companion of Marilyn Killpack Meldrum, passed away suddenly on Wednesday evening, March 25, 2009. Merlyn was born August 9, 1932 in Provo, Utah to Spencer and Clara Smith Meldrum. Merlyn was sealed to his high school sweetheart, Marilyn Killpack, on February 23, 1951 in the Salt Lake Temple. They have had 57 wonderful years together and are looking forward to an eternity to come. Merlyn was an active member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints where he gave many years of faithful service. He will be missed by all who knew him and experienced his sense of humor. Many were recipients of his great generosity. In 1965 Merlyn took a leap of faith and created Meldrum Scale Company. While making a living, he always took the opportunity to teach his six sons how to work. He taught us the joys of life through his example in work and play. He taught us to be honest in our dealings with others and how to work hard and earn our pay. We will take these lessons and cherish them forever. He is survived by his wife Marilyn; four sons, Randy (Charlotte), Jeff (Jalynn), Doug (Tammy), Kelly (Keirsten); two daughters-in-law, Roberta and Celia; three sisters and one brother; 21 grandchildren and 19 great-grandchildren. He is preceded in death by two sons, David and Michael; two grandsons, Brent and Cameron; his parents; and his brother, Carl. Funeral services will be held at 11:00 a.m., Monday, March 30, 2009, in the Mt. Jordan 3rd Ward Chapel, 8950 S. 400 E. Family and friends may call Sunday evening 6-8 p.m. at Goff Mortuary, 8090 S. State St., and at the church Monday 9:30-10:45 a.m. Interment will be in the Larkin Sunset Gardens Cemetery, 1950 E. 10600 S., Sandy. Jonathan's Grandpa Meldrum passed away this week, and it has been so hard on us. It was sudden and unexpected, so we didn't get to say goodbye! It is still surreal to think that he is not around anymore. But, we know that Grandpa, Dave, and Mike are having a big fat party right now, and that makes us happy.
I have so many great memories of Grandpa. He was the first person I met from the Meldrum extended family, and he always treated me like I was one of his grandchildren. I remember the first time I met him, I realized immediately that I was going to be spending a lot of time laughing with him. They were getting ready to leave, and he says to me, "I don't remember your name." Grandma smacked him and said, "Merlyn, it's Tashina." He said, "Oh yeah! But wait, Cha-shina? Like, Cha-ching?" It was such a display of the man's wonderful sense of humor.
Another of my favorite memories was when we went to tell him and Grandma that we were engaged. He proceeded to give Jonathan a 20 minute speech on the gold ring that would be going through his nose if he married me. I remember being so upset because I thought he liked me, and here he was trying to talk Jonathan out of marrying me, while I was sitting right there! But, he followed it up with, "If he doesn't want to marry you, I would love to!"
Grandpa and I had a great relationship, even though I only knew him for a short time. I have so many great memories of him, and I will miss him like crazy! He was such an amazing man, and I am glad that I got to know him, and spend a few years with him in my life!
2 comments:
I am so sorry. I hope everything goes well with the funeral. I am so glad that we have the church! Your memories are so precious.
I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you are all doing okay.
I am just catching up on blogs today, and the pictures of your son at CHUCK-E-CHEESE are hilarious. What a little ladies man!
Post a Comment